To mark next week's release of the first vinyl anthology of The Cat's Miaow, the band have contributed an hour-long mix to our Inner World series.
There's a certain mystique attached to the music of The Cat's Miaow, though it certainly did not arrive in a vacuum, its own refraction of both a fervent indiepop culture at home in Melbourne and a wider international pop underground spread across a few other continents. This mix does a great job of reflecting how that local scene contrasted with what else was going on in the world, covering a few of the key acts central to the pivotal Toy Town label and the band's own imprint, Library. Think of it as an alternative history of sorts, dispatches from the margins with a universal gleam.
Songs '94-'98 is out via yours truly on 15th July. Pre-order here. There's also a highly limited TCM t-shirt now available exclusively via World of Echo, which can also be ordered here.
1. The Lucksmiths - Shine On Me
2. The Sugargliders - Seventeen
3. Hydroplane - Grand Central
4. Earthmen - Coloured In
5. The Cannanes - Population of Two
6. Bart & Friends - CBGB's
7. Tugboat - 12 Degrees of Separation
8. Pencil Tin - Friday
9. Girl of the World - Circus
10. Robert Cooper - Brilliant Feeling
11. Stinky Fire Engine - Disco City Holiday
12. Other Peoples Children - Transatlantic
13. Ninetynine - Woekenender
14. Mannone Alone - Pink Earrings
15. Mid State Orange - Rivers
16. Architecture in Helsinki - Like A Call